Saturday 11 January 2014

Illness and God’s Provision or Toilet Tales:)

     I've gotten malaria twice in 3 weeks in Kenya, But I only experienced discomfort and missed two meals, but felt really great after a good night's sleep and taking leftover malaria medicine from the last episode. I had great stomach pain as we traveled back from Masai Land Tuesday the 7th, but on the bright side, the apparent gas pains distracted me from feeling nauseated bouncing along on the really horrible roads. We got back at our host's house in Kisii just in time to relieve myself at a better
Better Toilets & African Showers at New Building
squatty toilet than the one you could not even stand up in in Masai
Gravel Squatty Potty too short to Stand!
Land. Fortunately, I carried a roll of toilet paper in the big pocket of my African shirt. But everyone in this fairly nice house was so helpful, last night. When I felt a fever coming on I figured it was malaria (experience), so I took a daily dose of malaria medicine, put on my Walmart jacket that I don't usually have in warm Africa and supervised from the nice couch making bread in my bread maker that I had left with Patrick in Nairobi from a previous trip. Then I skipped supper and went to sleep in the best bed I've had on this trip with two blankets to keep me warm and the ragged pillow I brought from America. I got the best night of sleep since I arrived 12 December and felt great as I waited eight more minutes for the bread to finish cooking a second time, as the generator power was interrupted, I suppose, as I slept. At my request Patrick brought peanut butter and honey since they usually eat unhealthy white bread for breakfast, so I will get a good meal after skipping supper last night.
    I actually have about six bread-makers with two in two African countries, but being frugal, I buy them used at Goodwill for an average of seven to eight dollars each on sale. Everyone likes my whole wheat bread recipe everywhere I go. Ironically, you need the extra fiber of whole wheat bread in Africa, of all places, because their main staple starchy foods, root or corn flour dough or white rice have little fiber & I've never eaten good spicy beans in Kenya. But that comes in handy, because in many places you only have leaves to use for toilet paper or paper may be hard to find because most people only stock one roll at most.
    In less than one day, I am back in good health and working with Patrick and Paul, my host, on legal documents to rent a very nice newly built building
New School Buildings
for our school at a low cost in an area where students will be easier to find then where we were building in the country. We still have shared ownership of the building site so we can finish the building and have it for future rent or business or school purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment